Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Learning Log: Chapter 5

Vacca, Vacca, and Mraz (2011) discuss a "B-D-A instructional framework" as what a teacher does before reading (interest and motivation are key), during reading (think alouds and active participation), and after reading activities (follow up is critical).  While previously teaching kindergarten and currently homeschooling my own child, very often I will use this sort of framework to plan out my lessons.  In my experience, the after reading activities can be the easiest to forget about.

Vacca, Vacca, and Mraz (2011) explained how explicit strategy instruction "attempts not only to show students what to do but also why, how,  and when."  It's so important to allow students the time to practice what they've learned and to give them real, authentic tasks.  Students need to know how they're doing as well.  It's been easy for me to do this with my daughter.  I found it more of a challenge in the classroom, giving students the feedback that they needed.  They would receive feedback, just not as consistently or often as I felt necessary.




References 

Vacca, R.T., Vacca, J. L. & Mraz, M.  (2011). Content area reading: literacy and learning across
the  curriculum. Boston: Allyn & Bacon.

No comments:

Post a Comment