Friday, April 25, 2014

Learning Log: Chapter 12

According to Vacca, Vacca, and Mraz (2011), the responsibilities of a literacy coach can be staggering.  What makes a good literacy coach?  Based upon my past experiences, I decided to compile a list of attributes that I found to be helpful with literacy coaches I have personally worked with.
  • willing to work one-on-one with me
  • modeled various types of lessons when requested
  • maintained confidentiality
  • would seek out additional information if unsure of something
  • helped guide me through the process of assessments
  • provided timely feedback including helpful suggestions
  • easy to talk with
  • provided training, resources
  • attended grade level meetings
  • observed, non-intrusive
  • shared materials such as teacher resource books and books to read to the class

References 

Vacca, R.T., Vacca, J. L. & Mraz, M.  (2011). Content area reading: literacy and learning across
the  curriculum. Boston: Allyn & Bacon.

No comments:

Post a Comment