Friday, February 21, 2014

Learning Log: Chapter 11

As a teacher of young students (all my experience has pretty much been with preschool and kindergarten students), I cannot recall ever using textbooks in a classroom.  That said, I have used many, many trade books.  Trade books provide rich narrative and informational content (Vacca, Vacca, & Mraz, 2011).  On a daily basis, I read trade books to my daughter (who I home school).  There are so many to choose from, and the library is an excellent resource to gather trade books for teaching purposes.  I've found that using trade books allows me to customize what I am teaching and allows for students to select books of interest.



References 

Vacca, R.T., Vacca, J. L. & Mraz, M.  (2011). Content area reading: literacy and learning across
the  curriculum. Boston: Allyn & Bacon.

No comments:

Post a Comment