Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Teachers as Readers: How is studying a text different from reading it?


Vacca, Vacca, and Mraz (2011) discuss how students are expected to learn more with the texts at a higher frequency as they progress through their schooling.  Students can merely read what is before them, or they can study it.  What is the difference?

Frequently, I read through news articles.  I tend to gravitate towards articles on health related issues.  When reading something that I find interesting, such as an Aleccia (2014) article today about a cluster of birth defects in Washington state, I will read through the article and then continue reading about the subject matter to gain more information about what I have read.  If I had only read that particular article, I would have retained some of the information that I read.  For that particular article, I studied the topic in greater depth and could tell you about what the article discussed plus additional information that I read by further reading about the subject through other sources.

Is it necessary to study every text one reads?  Definitely no.  I think at times, we will study a text because we are required to and the other times we study a text is out of personal interest on a particular topic.  


References



Aleccia, J. (2014, February 17). 'Bizarre' Cluster of Severe Birth Defects Haunts Health Experts,  
         NBC News. Retrieved from http://www.nbcnews.com/health/kids-health/bizarre-cluster-severe- 
         birth-defects-haunts-health-experts-n24986
 


Vacca, R.T., Vacca, J. L. & Mraz, M.  (2011). Content area reading:  literacy and learning across 
           the  curriculum. Boston: Allyn & Bacon.

No comments:

Post a Comment