Monday, February 10, 2014

Learning Log: Chapter 2

The new skills necessary are play, performance, simulation, appropriation, multitasking, distributed cognition, collective intelligence, judgement, transmedia navigation, networking, and negotiation  (Jenkins, Clinton,, Purushotma,, Robison, & Weigel, 2006).  Last year at this time, I had never heard of the term new literacies or new media literacies.  Over time, I have learned about these new literacies and what they mean for today's students.  Interestingly, many of these literacies involve "writing to learn" activities  (Vacca, Vacca, & Mraz, 2011).  I personally have participated in most of these literacies, even before I understood them as the "new literacies."  Over the course of the past year, I have worked on integrating these into my teaching.  Currently, I am homeschooling my daughter who is a kindergartener.  Since she is so young, the new media literacies she exposed to currently is limited.  She does write occasionally on her writing blog.  Together, we engage in internet inquiries.  Recently, we have been using Google Earth and Wikipedia to search for additional information for a geography project we are working on; more information on our project can be found on our Project Blog.



I am including a few additional resources that I have found helpful, and I wanted to include these in my learning log for this particular chapter.


Eight Traits of the New Media Landscape








References 
Jenkins, H., Clinton, K., Purushotma, R., Robison, A.J. & Weigel, M. (2006). Confronting the 
           challenges of a participatory culture: media education for the 21st century. The MacArthur    
           Foundation. Retrieved from   
           http://www.newmedialiteracies.org/wp-content/uploads/pdfs/NMLWhitePaper.pdf

Vacca, R.T., Vacca, J. L. & Mraz, M.  (2011). Content area reading: literacy and learning across
the  curriculum. Boston: Allyn & Bacon.

No comments:

Post a Comment